Jacking a car up by the rear axle is not recommended as it can damage the car. However, if you must jack the car up by the rear axle, make sure to use a large and stable object to support the car. Position the jack under the frame of the car and not on any parts that could be damaged.
Slowly lift the car until it is high enough to work on.
- Park the car on a level surface and set the emergency brake
- Remove the hubcap from the wheel you will be jacking up
- Place a jack under the rear axle, near the wheel you will be lifting
- Pump the jack handle to raise the rear axle until the tire is clear of the ground
- Place a block of wood or a concrete block under each side of the rear axle to support it while you work
How Do You Jack Up a Car by the Rear Axle
If you need to jack up your car by the rear axle, there are a few things you’ll need to do. First, find a spot on the frame of your car that’s closest to the rear axle. Once you’ve found that spot, place your jack under the frame and pump it until the rear axle is lifted off the ground.
Make sure that your jack is stable before getting under the car to do any work.
How To Properly Lift a Car on 4 Jack Stands
If your car has a rear-wheel drivetrain, you can jack it up by the rear axle. This is handy if you need to change a tire or do some other maintenance on the car. Just be sure to use caution and follow all safety instructions when jacking up your car.